[CT Birds] North Lake & L Whitney, April 7

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sat Apr 7 18:45:47 EDT 2012

Around Lake Whitney this afternoon, noting only notable additions.

Palm Warbler, wagging its tail vigorously.
      (Flo, it flew from RWA territory to Big Avis.)

Y-B Sapsucker, with its brilliant chin.  (Seen on Hamden Land Trust area near RWA boundary.)

Both these almost accidental: I caught the shadow of the warbler and followed it; and I stared at a tall dead tree for a minute, then YBSS appeared.

Near Mill River mouth, upper Lake Whitney:  4 very small dabblers, and I may have seen enough of the head of one to show GW Teal.  But it was far away for my 8x's.

Also: Chipping S. along with W-T Sparrow and Junco, and loud WTS singing.

As yesterday, no Swallows noticeable (but I did hear something chatter above me, but I couldn't see it and am not sure what it was).