[CT Birds] Interesting scenario: wood ducks, pileated and sharpie

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 21:53:01 EDT 2012

4/7 - my back yard:  I was watching from my kitchen a pair of wood  ducks
checking out the trees behind my house.  Back and forth they went,  then flew
behind a particularly big old oak - and suddenly out the  other side of the
oak flew a pileated woodpecker, pursued by a sharp-shinned  hawk!  They
flew 180 degrees around the house, the pileated ducking in and  out, the
sharpie in full pursuit.  Could the pileated have accidentally  disturbed a
sharpie nesting already?
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford