[CT Birds] Second Ruffed Grouse

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sun Apr 8 08:12:38 EDT 2012

This is off the top of my head, but Ruffed Grouse are known to be quite
cyclical in their population numbers. The major decrease over much of the
state over a decade or two surely is more than cyclical, but a slow but
steady increase in reports over the last couple years might indicate there's
at least a cyclical uptick going on. It's hard to tell in some cases if this
is just the result of more birders looking for them, but when experienced
birders detect grouse in places they haven't seen them for years it is
suggestive of something positive happening.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury