[CT Birds] Connecticut Birds

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Apr 9 22:06:17 EDT 2012

I'm guessing that none of the books devoted to birds in CT made anyone a cent, and now there are alternatives to printing such works.  My guess is that printed books like Connecticut Birds are going to be increasingly uncommon as alternate formats like web sites continue to become the way to publish narrowly specialized information.  If nothing else, information on the web opens up the possibility of revisions in small doses as needed rather than in one overwhelming effort.

I see the basic resources for Connecticut as Zeranski & Baptist as you mentioned, the seasonal abundance guide that Greg Hanisek put together as a Connecticut Warbler issue and revised once, the reports of the Avian Records Committee of Connecticut, and the breeding bird atlas.  Each have limits, but taken together they are what we have.  And of course we have the two bird finding guides - Rosgen & Billings, Devine & Smith - but their emphasis is birding more than birds.

Note that first 16 ARCC reports are on the web at the COA web site: http://ctbirding.org/arcc_reports.htm.

For those who can never have enough information, reading back issues of The Connecticut Warbler is always worthwhile.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT