[CT Birds] Peculiar Robin Behavior

jayne.neville at cox.net jayne.neville at cox.net
Tue Apr 10 11:12:09 EDT 2012

  CT Birders -

Yes the robin see's it's reflection and is trying to chase off  what it believes to be another robin its territory.  Not only can they injure themselves but they waste valuable energy and time away from the nest or young.

Covering the windows with toweling may work. Unfortunately robins have a very long breeding season!

> >        Every morning and late afternoon, for the last week, a robin  perches on a shrub outside a particular window on our house, then flies up and pecks the window 3 times, flying upwards as he (she?) pecks, then sits down on the shrub for a minute or two.  The behavior is then repeated 6-10 times exactly as before.  Shortly afterward, the robin does the same thing at another specific window on the other side of the house.  Any explanation?

Jayne Neville
Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary