[CT Birds] Semipalmated Sandpiper, Mlf Pt

Stephen Spector charsjs at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 10 14:38:20 EDT 2012

>From Steve Spector:
10 April 2012 -- Milford Point (Francis St spit), around 1:00 PM -- Semipalmated Sandpiper.  This early bird (my FOY) foraging with a large group (about 700 birds) of Sanderlings and Dunlin.  Hard to distinuish Semi Sand from Western in this winter plumage, but bill is relatively short, straight (no droop).  (I'll try to post a few pictures of the Semi Sand on www.stevesbirds.blogspot.com)  A few of the Dunlin have black bellies already.  Many of the Sanderlings were running up on the beach (Cedar Beach--just east of the spit) and sheltering from stiff wind.  Piping Plover very active today, too.  Also, in marsh at CACC, pair of Blue-wined Teal (along with many Green-winged Teal).

charsjs at sbcglobal.net