[CT Birds] Farm Mill River???? - Western Tanager NOT

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 10 14:45:13 EDT 2012

>From Frank Mantlik
4/10  Stratford/Shelton, Rt. 110, Far Mill River Park - I looked unsuccessfully
for the Western Tanager.  The area was actually fairly quiet.  A question arose
if this bird might have wintered here.  It's possible, as the habitat reminded
me of their nesting habitat at Yellowstone NP (flowing river, mixed evergreen &
deciduous woods).  And I saw one back yard that had (now empty) feeders.  Even
so, I would suspect this tanager was moving through with migrant warblers, etc.
when seen on 4/7 by Donna Caporaso.
I would recommend taking the foot trail on the Shelton (north) side of the
river, as it is easier walking and less steep than the Stratford side.  I parked
behind the ASO Sports Shop.
I was amazed to see Garlic Mustard and Celandine already in bloom.  Also many
Cabbage White butterflies.