[CT Birds] Volunteers needed for Audubon foraging survey

Lori Mott zoogirl527 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:13:02 EDT 2012

Hi,
I am sorry to repost, but I still have a few open territories for the
foraging surveys and I know there are some great birders in these spots.
The open areas are:  Stratford - Roosevelt Forest, Booth Park;  Milford -
Milford Point;  Fairfield - Birdcraft Sanctuary.  Foraging surveys are done
once a week for a maximum of one hour, starting at about a half hour after
sunrise and ending by 10:00, and will run from April 20 to June 1.  If you
can help with any of these areas, please let me know (Lori Mott -
zoogirl527 at gmail.com).  We are also still looking for volunteers to help
with the abundance survey in the greater New Haven area.  Thanks, Lori

*Habitat Oases Call for Volunteers:*

Are you looking forward to spring migration?  Are you planning on visiting
local hotspots in search of warblers, vireos, orioles and other neotropical
migrants? Why not mix a little science into your birding pursuits?  Audubon
CT is seeking citizen scientists (volunteer birdwatchers) to participate in
surveys of Neotropical migrant songbird abundance and foraging preferences
during spring migration.  Volunteers should have moderate - strong bird
identification skills and at least a basic ability to identify common
plants.

For the abundance surveys, we are asking participants to conduct simple
10-min. bird surveys (what bird species are present and how many of each
species) at Greater New Haven Parks on at least four of the following
Saturdays: April 21, 28th, May 5th, 12th and 19th.  The abundance surveys
will take a maximum of two hours to complete.

 The foraging preferences surveys will help us identify which plants birds
prefer to feed in during migration, and will be conducted one morning per
week from April 20th-June 1st .  The priority sites for these surveys are
coastal sites from Greenwich to New Haven, as well as sites in the greater
Hartford area, but people interested in conducting the surveys at other
sites in CT are welcome to participate as well.  The foraging surveys will
take a maximum of one hour to complete.

There will be training sessions (not mandatory) on Friday April 13th at
10am and 7pm (location to be decided) that will focus on tips for
identifying migrants by sight and sound. To volunteer or for more
information, contact Corrie Folsom-O’Keefe (abundance surveys) or Michelle
Frankel (foraging surveys).

 Corrie – cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org, 203-264-5098

Michelle – mfrankel at audubon.org, 203-869-5272, ext.225

 These songbird surveys are part of Audubon’s Habitat Oases for Migrating
Songbirds program, which seeks to identify, improve and conserve important
stop-over habitat for migrating songbirds all along the Atlantic migratory
flyway, focusing on urban areas and other landscapes where there is limited
quality habitat.