[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow continues, Norwich Turnpike, Lebanon

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 17:39:50 EDT 2012

I finally went to see  the Harris's Sparrow in Lebanon this  afternoon. I
was there  over two hours and the bird only appeared twice,  each time for a
very short period.He appears to be very timid, coming out to  feed for only
a few seconds at a time, then retreating into the brush against  the wall.
The first time, I knew the bird was there before I saw it, because it
called 4 or 5 times, a loud, crisp long single note. I had no idea what its call
 was, but I realized it couldn't have come from any of the native birds
there, meaning it had to be him. A few seconds later he emerged from low down
in  the brush, grabbed a few seeds and ran back again. He went in and out 4
or 5  times. He was visible for a total of no more than 2 or 3 minutes.
The second time he made no sound, but did stay out a bit longer and I
managed to get a few quick pictures, but again he was there only briefly, and I
didn't see him again after that. Link to pictures below.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/mntncougar/albums/b766ed670c324566abe679da854
89ef3?wf=slideshow

While I was there a Belted Kingfisher flew over my head, chattering  loudly.

Don Morgan
Coventry