[CT Birds] Northern Bobwhite

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Fri Apr 13 19:41:48 EDT 2012

4/13 eve, Somers yard 9th District Rd., when leaving the barn after feeding
the horses, I noticed a "lump" in the middle of the pasture that I first
thought was a rabbit but upon closer inspection was most surprised to
discover a NORTHERN BOBWHITE.  It was a female or juvenile, had buffy
colored throat, and eventually started pecking its way across the pasture
then started to run when it noticed the dog, eventually ending up in the
woods behind the house where it still is pecking around in the leaves.  A
new yard bird and my first siting of one in CT!

Jan in Somers