[CT Birds] Blue-headed vireo, Louisiana waterthrushes (4), etc - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 15 11:22:44 EDT 2012

Took a walk this morning along the old railroad bed trail on the west side of the Shepaug River (9:30 - 10:40 AM, 15 April 2012, Sunday) in the original section of the Steep Rock Preserve off River Road and West Church Road in Washington, CT. Anyone looking for the 'rare' yellow-bellied sapsucker might want to visit here as I counted at least 8 on territory here. I also found four Louisiana waterthrush on territory on the Shepaug River or on small streams coming down to the river. All of the waterthrushes were heard and in the 'regular' places I have noted them every year. Had two male common mergansers and a belted kingfisher on the river. I noted that chipping sparrows were back with juncos and white-throated sparrows still around. Coming back along the railroad bed trail I heard a blue-headed vireo, which I took some listening to before deciding it was a blue-headed vireo.

David W Babington
Washington, CT