[CT Birds] Boston Hollow Sun, 4-15-12

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 19:43:48 EDT 2012

When I arrived at BH this morning I immediately met Phil Rusch on his way
out. He said he'd been told there was a brush fire and the road was being
closed. The fire was up behind the ridge above the Hollow and they did  close
the road, but I managed to stay long enough to hear several LA
Waterthrushes and a Winter Wren.
I worked my way around and dropped down to Barlows Mill Rd via a dirt road
in the Yale forest and discovered there was a lot of activity there (avian,
 fortunately). I heard and saw my FOY Chipping Sparrow and discovered the
woods  were full of Palm Warblers. I had seen a few before, but obviously
more have  arrived, as well as more Waterthrushes.In addition there was
obviously a mass  invasion of Chipping Sparrows, because they were everywhere on
the northwest end  of that road,
There are also more Yellow-Rumps calling and lots and lots of Pine
Warblers. Even a pair of Wood Ducks on the brook. The Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
are also out that way, and busily pounding away.
By the time I got back to BH Road they had opened it again, but it was
11:30 and things  had quieted somewhat, although the Waterthrushes were  still
singing. I don't think the fire ever got very close to the Hollow and I
never saw any smoke plume, although I could clearly smell it. There were
firemen  grouped along the road, looking like they were waiting to be picked up,
so I  guess they had taken care of the problem.
Not a bad day, but I would have liked a little more peace and quiet.
Don Morgan