[CT Birds] Stratford Cormorants

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 20:48:15 EDT 2012

Birdseye Boat Ramp/Greenway:  This morning between 7 and 745 I saw 2 large groups of Double Crested Cormorants flying northeasterly. One with 19 and one with 22.  A smaller group of  5 also came overhead.  Also two raptors circling over Avco but unable to see them clearly with the sun shining in my direction but I'm sure they weren't TV's.  The highlight was watching a MALE Northern Harrier come from the far side of the dog pond and across the greenway grass area and over the cove.  What a beautiful bird he was!

After work around 515 while in the lot by the 500 pond I watched an osprey with face trying to find just the right tree to eat it in.  He was being very vocal but I didn't see anyone else around who might have tried to take it from him/her.  He was going from tree to tree between the railroad trail and the pond.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT