[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Annual Banquet

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 09:56:18 EDT 2012

Folks,

This is your reminder that the New Haven Bird Club's Annual Banquet
is less than a month from now!  Please note that reservations with
choice of entree and payment are required in advance by April 26.  No
tickets will be sold at the door, so get your reservation going now.

Thursday, May 10, 2012.  Annual Banquet, Open to the Public.  Guest
Speaker, Peter Alden-Brilliant: The First Year in the Life of a
Scarlet Tanager.
Amarante's Restaurant, 62 Cove St, New Haven.  Social hour at 6 PM,
dinner at 7 PM.  Reservation with payment and choice of entrée (Beef,
Chicken, or Vegetarian) required by April 26, $35.00 per person, cash
bar.   For more information and banquet reservation form visit
www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203-230-1697. Bring cash to
participate in raffle.

“He is between me and the sun, and his plumage is incredibly
brilliant, all aglow….You can hardly believe a creature can wear such
colors.”

Those words were written in 1860 by Henry David Thoreau, and who
among us hasn’t had the same experience upon spotting that fiery red
bird when it returns in spring. Tonight’s speaker is eminently
qualified to present this tanager’s “biography.”  Peter Alden, a
Concord MA resident, has authored 15 bird and nature books and has
led about 300 bird and wildlife tours, safaris, and cruises to 100
countries and the seven seas. With Harvard’s Edward O. Wilson he
organized the world’s first Biodiversity Days; 270 species were found
within a few miles of Thoreau’s Walden Pond.  Peter begins the story
with a nest and egg of a Scarlet Tanager in Concord’s Walden Woods.
We will follow the bird through his first year, beginning with his
education “in a treetop summer school for young tanagers.” We’ll fly
with him along his migration south and see amazing landscapes along
the route: the Smokies, Florida, Cuba, Central American, Colombia’s
Andes, the Amazon, and finally Peru’s Manu National Park. There we’ll
listen as the young bird perfects his unique song over the next four
months. Then we follow him back to Concord via Machu Picchu, Ecuador,
Guatemala, Mexico, across the Gulf, up the Atlantic coast and back to
Walden Woods where his future “wife” finally finds him. Together
they’ll begin the next chapter of a tanager’s life. We will be both
educated and entertained as Peter tells of a tanager’s many
encounters with birds and mammals as well as the dangers and issues
during its first year. The timing of this program is perfect. Scarlet
Tanagers are now arriving!

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director