[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, 4-18-12 More FOYand nice assortment.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 21:30:58 EDT 2012

Two excellent birders, Janet Mehmel and Sara Zagorsky, accompanied me  and
we had another nice list of birds including more first-of-year, Barred Owl
and Broad-winged Hawk. Also some interesting interactions. We heard a very
loud  and angry Raven and looked up over the road to see it pursuing a
Red-tailed Hawk which was wisely fleeing. They circled around and went up the
road in the other direction, but in a few moments we heard the Raven coming
back, and looked up to see it now in close pursuit of a Turkey Vulture! It's
not  smart to get too close to a Raven's nest.
Later I stopped at an open field to check for raptors and found a Red-tail
slowly circling in the light wind. Then I spotted another bird high above
and  watched as it suddenly stooped on the Red-tail. It looked like a
Peregrine for a  moment, but turned out to be a Broad-winged Hawk, and what it
lacked in size it  made up for in spirit., diving several times till the
Red-tail moved on. Once  again we found Purple Finches, this time a pair.
Yesterday I found  FOY a great Blue Heron and a Black-and-white  Warbler.
No sign of the Grouse.
Here's the complete EBird list for today:
Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Apr 18, 2012 7:30 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Don Morgan