[CT Birds] Stratford Sightings - Mystery Bird, Glossy Ibis and Osprey Question

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 21:52:23 EDT 2012

Interesting day of birds for me...
7-745 Greenway had 2 Great Egrets and 3 Snowy Egrets who took off together and went to the boat ramp.
Also there were about 25 Yellowlegs out in the mud.

12:00pm Aptar parking lot 12 Brown Headed Cowbirds (mostly female).  Along Access Road on a dead branch hanging over the road across from the new Norwalk Marine office (former Olson Steel) I saw a blackbird with a yellow head.  I made a u turn and grabbed my binoculars and saw a bird about the size of boat tailed grackle with a yellow head while going for the camera and National Geo field guide it fly across the street to the right of the Norwalk Marine building.  I scanned with the binoculars but was unsuccessful in spotting it.  There were a good number of Boat Tails in the trees however.  When looking at my National Geo field guide I can across a yellow headed blackbird.  He looked very close to that but I didn't notice white on the wings and I don't recall the yellow going so far down the breast as illustrated.   After letting the dog out I went back and scanned the trees next to the building and along the pond. I work at Aptar and my office faces the pond and I'd steal a few minutes throughout the afternoon looking at the windows with my binoculars but nothing.
After work I looked again and expanded my search to include Access Road down to the Traffic light.  I got distracted by 20+ Glossy Ibis in the pond across from the little power station building on Access Road!  This is the first time I've seen them up close and they are wonderful birds!  There was also 1 Wilson's Snipe, 2 Gadwalls, and 1 Yellowlegs.   I spent about half an hour playing with the camera hoping to get some good shoots and then headed to the warehouses for a quick look see and saw an Osprey on a nest on the tower to the right and saw an Osprey on each of the platforms.  Heading back up along Access Road to look for the mystery bird again, I was once again distracted by two Osprey building a nest and copulating in a most unusual place - a top a crane!
Questions:  Do we have more Osprey in Stratford than normal?  I am seeing them every day and not in the same spots.   Does the owner of the crane need to be made aware of the Osprey so as not to disturb them and who would be the person that should do that?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150750332177439.428141.726347438&type=3&l=5b56d3c3ae

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT