[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, 4-18-12 FOY Osprey, aerial combat

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 18:10:46 EDT 2012

FOy Osprey, same spot as last year, fishing for stocked trout
Gold Finches, first time listed but I've seen them before - an  oversight
Bad day for an adult Red-tailed Hawk - first a Broad-winged Hawk was diving
 on him and chasing him repeatedly. Then a Common Raven took charge and
drove the  Red-tail right down into the trees. Earlier I saw the Raven do the
same to a  Turkey Vulture.
I assume the Ravens have young in the nest now - much more vociferous and
aggressive.
Thanks to Rich Huck who spotted him I saw a Barred Owl in his day roost.
I'm wondering if there is a nest nearby, because he has been seen in the same
 area three days in a row now.

EBird list for today below:

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Apr 18, 2012 8:00 AM - 1:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
Don Morgan