[CT Birds] Martin Gourd Mystery...

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 19:59:18 EDT 2012

OK folks; I saw something Saturday that I can't explain. Our purple martins came back more than 2 weeks early, so I went out to clean out their nesting gourds. When I took the first gourd off the pole, I almost dropped it due to the weight. When I opened it up, it was half-full of uneaten sunflower seeds. When I took down the second gourd, it too, was full of seeds; this time it was cracked corn and mixed seed. By the time I was through, I'd found 8-9 gourds half full of uneaten seed. Most were filled with sunflower seeds. The poles have predator guards, although a squirrel could jump above it from nearby shrubs. I've never seen a squirrel by he boxes. I suspect flying squirrels or perhaps a hoard of starlings.. Any guesses folks??

Frank Gallo
Life is short. Bird often.