[CT Birds] Eastern phoebe nest question

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 20 09:12:29 EDT 2012

We have two eastern phoebes working on a nest on top of light figure under the roof of the part of our front porch which is not enclosed at our house here in Washington, CT. We move outdoor furniture out to this porch and set up a shade to block the sun on the porch, right next to where the nest is being built, in about mid May or sometimes earlier. So the porch becomes a  place for us to sit out on in the late Spring and the Summer, weather permitting. I know some have said here that once phoebes have set up a nest they are not likely to be disturbed too much by human activity. There is now a Cooper's hawk active in the area also. Any thoughts on if we should perhaps delay setting up our porch for the summer until perhaps the end of May?

David W Babington
Washington, CT