[CT Birds] Winter drawdown effects on lake ecosystems

paul cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:19:47 EDT 2012

Here is an article that some of you may be interested in from the Jan/Feb
2012 Connecticut Wildlife Magazine regarding lake draw downs.
I have to wonder what is pushing so many towns throughout the state of CT
to draw down water levels and repair dams (including Batterson Pond last
winter)?? Did this money for dam repairs magically appear?? With draw downs
having the potential to cause irreversible harm to the lakes, I suspect
there may be other reasons for this other than dam repairs. Recreational
users of these areas may request more draw downs to eliminate aquatic
vegetation, making it easier for them, but harmful to wildlife. I don't
trust what I see.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/wildlife/pdf_files/outreach/connecticut_wildlife_magazine/cwjf12.pdf

Paul Cianfaglione
Canton