[CT Birds] Peak Mountain and the backyard

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 16:34:00 EDT 2012

In suburban CT it is always a tough call whether to expend fossil fuels to
chase or seek birds, or to just stay at home and be observant.
This morning I reported a kettle of Broad-winged hawks over my house in
East Hartford.  I subsequently drove up to the old (now abandoned) Peak
Mountain watch site near Brainard Airport in East Granby.  In three hours+
I saw only 10 migrating birds (5 Broadwings, 3 American Kestrels, 1 Osprey,
and one unidentified raptor.)  Of course there were the local Red-tails and
one 2d-3d year Bald Eagle to entertain, as well as over 60 migrating
Cormorants and the local small birds.  However, I came home again and sat
down at the computer when I heard a loud sound and watched a Red-tailed
Hawk fly by my window carrying a hapless Mourning Dove which he had nailed
only feet away from me on the back lawn.  So I am left thinking that
perhaps staying home and conserving fossil fuels is not so boring.

Dana Campbell, Interim Rector
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Meriden
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees, and flowers,
and clouds, and stars."

Martin Luther