[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 4-21-12 Notes on Winter Wrens

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 19:12:31 EDT 2012

Heard and saw briefly a second Northern Waterthrush today, and heard Winter
 Wrens singing in several locations.See my thoughts below.
For the third time in 4 days I saw a Barred Owl this morning, and  it has
been seen a total of 4 out of the last 5 days, always less  than half a mile
in from the beginning of the dirt road.
In addition to the 2 Broad-wings I reported, I saw a kettle of about 18
birds, definitely hawks but too far to ID, north of the open field with the
cellar hole on Barlow Mill Rd. I'm convinced they were Broad-winged Hawks,
because I never see other species in kettles during spring migration and the
way  they were circling and flying was very reminiscent of Broad-wings
during fall  migration. But they'll have to go as "buteo species".
EBird report is below.

Boston Hollow Winter Wrens:
I started going to Boston Hollow early this year, mostly because I was
anxious to see if there would be any Winter Wrens. Last year there were none,
apparently having been wiped out by the snows of the previous winter. (I
heard  one sing, just once, last year). I was very relieved to hear one sing on
an  early trip, and on most all subsequent ones up to the present.
Eventually I  heard a second bird sing as well, but I could not reliably hear both
of them on  the same day, and I began to believe that one had left and even
though I heard  the song in different locations from day to day, there was
only a single bird  present.
However, in the last few weeks I've heard songs more and more  frequently,
and began to realize there must be more than one, even though the  songs
sounded almost identical. But I still had no real idea of how many,  and I had
only had one brief sighting in all that time. I did think that perhaps  the
one I saw was a female, because it never sang, and to that time I had never
heard one near that location.
But in the last week or two it seems the birds have become much less shy,
and I saw them several times, and in different locations on the same day, so
I  was sure there were more than I'd thought.
Then, a few days ago, I saw TWO PAIRS on the same day, almost a mile
apart, so I had no doubt they were different birds. I watched one of the  females
busily collecting bills full of nesting material! The next day I found  one
pair again in the same location, and one bird in the other location, and in
 addition, I saw a singing male about half way in between the 2 spots. And
today I heard what I believe was a total of 4 different singing males,
although  I saw only one bird.
There is no doubt the Wrens are back! Not in the numbers of 2 years ago and
 so far, none at all out on Barlow Mill Rd, where there were several
before.  Nevertheless, I'm overjoyed to know our wonderful little singers  are
present once again.

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Apr 21, 2012 7:30 AM - 11:00  AM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
Don Morgan