[CT Birds] Bent of the River

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Apr 22 13:15:34 EDT 2012

I spent much of the morning at Bent of the River Audubon Sanctuary in Southbury.  Things were generally slow but a Brown Thrasher was in the usual spot next to the visitor parking, in the tangled brush along the white fence.  I'm not sure how many waterthrushes I had.  I saw two silent ones together in the back of the stagnant pool to the right as you head toward the beaver loop.  Then two Louisiana Waterthrushes singing at the same time along the river along the beaver loop.  Another Louisiana singing at the swampy spot along Pootatuck Road (main "road" through Bent).  Then one silent along the far bank of the river near the barn, and upstream from there a few minutes later one Louisiana singing.  The first two singing along the river didn't give the emphasis to the initial long notes of the song that I am used to, and that the other two singers did.

I met a birder who reported several warblers in the cedar fields that I had no luck finding.  What I had in the cedar fields were Field Sparrows everywhere, including one that only sang the intro notes of the usual song, with none of the accelerating bouncy trill.

But it was good to see the Common Mergansers and Wood Ducks on the river, the House Wren near the little shed where the firewood is usually piled, Barn Swallows by the visitor parking, and the extremely bright markings on the White-throated Sparrows below the feeders.  36 species in all.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT