[CT Birds] American Bittern, Northern Parula Warbler - Cheshire

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 14:14:49 EDT 2012

I took advantage of the rain to avoid the Farmington Canal roller-blade crowds, and do an "easy three".  Even with a blistering pace (waddle) I was able to pick out the stiletto shape, dark flight feathers and soft alarm/flight "croak" of an American Bittern.  It was about 0.3 miles South of Lock 12.
'Had a couple warblers, including Yellow-rumped and FOY Northern Parula, amidst clouds of squeaky Am Goldfinch.
Plenty of other ridiculously-close locals including Muskrat, Wood Duck and Great Blue Heron.  Also, one of the ubiquitous Farmington Canal/Brooksvale area Red-shouldered hawks glided silently, a couple feet over my head.
Steve Mayo