[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club May Field Trips

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Sun Apr 22 17:52:26 EDT 2012

Folks,

Please note the following New Haven Bird Club's schedule of May field
trips:

Members of the New Haven Bird Club might like to note that there have
been recent changes in the leaders of the Naugatuck State Forest trip
on May 16 and the Barn Island trip on May 19.  The leaders given
below are different from those who appear in the NHBC Yearbook.
Otherwise the information for both those trips has not changed.

First Wednesday Walk: East Rock Park, New Haven.  Wednesday, May 2,
2012, 8:00 am Free and open to the public. Join us for a walk in one
of the best places in the state to see warblers and other spring
migrants.  It is not unusual to see 15-20 species of warblers in this
park on any given day in early May.  Rarities such as Prothonotary,
Kentucky, and Cape May Warbler are possible.  Meet at the Eli Whitney
Museum parking lot near the covered bridge.  Leader—John Oshlick.
Contact person—Tina Green: 203 247-2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.

East Rock Park with Ranger Dan.  Saturday, May 5, 8:00 am. Free and
open to the public.  Join Ranger Dan Barvir at this premier site for
viewing warblers and a great variety of other spring migrants. Meet
at the Rice Field (baseball field) end of East Rock. Directions: From
Whitney Ave. take East Rock Rd. to Farnham. Turn right and follow
Farnham a short distance past Orange St. intersection. The large
baseball field is on the right. Leader-Ranger Dan Barvir: 203.946.6086

Bent of the River Wildlife Sanctuary, Southbury.  Sunday, May 6, 7:30
am. Free and open to the public.  Explore a prime birding location
along the Pomperaug River in Southbury where more than 100 species of
birds have been observed in a single day.  This beautiful and highly
diverse, 650-acre habitat is owned and maintained by the National
Audubon Society.  Take Exit 14 off Rte.84. Go north on Rte. 172 ,
then turn left on East Flat Hill Road, at intersection with church.
Continue to sanctuary entrance on left.  The trip involves moderately
strenuous hiking.  Leader-Roy Harvey: 203.888.5757, rmharvey at snet.net.

Chatfield Hollow State Park, Killingworth. Sunday, May 6, 8:30 am.
Free and open to the public.  This 356-acre wooded stream valley is a
popular stop throughout the year for birds and birders.  At least 20
species of warblers have been recorded in the spring, along with a
wide variety of other avian migrants and nesters.  Easy walking.
Depending on the group - and the birds - the trip may meander over to
the adjacent Cockaponsett State Forest.  Directions: The entrance to
the park is on Rt. 80 in Killingworth, between the Rt. 79 and Rt. 81
traffic circles. Meet in the parking lot at the entrance. Leader—John
Himmelman: 860:663-3225, jhimmel at comcast.net.

Big Day Marathon.  Saturday, May 12, 6:00 AM. Free and open to the
public.   Join us for all or part of this event.  We'll focus on New
Haven area hotspots, seeking 100-130 species.  We start at East Rock
and search several other local migrant traps, as well as the coast
from Lordship to Hammonasset.  Meet at the Eli Whitney Museum parking
lot at 6:00 or 7:30 am. Leader—Randy Domina: 203-271-3123,
rhexp at hotmail.com.

Nehantic State Forest and Hartman Park, Lyme.  May 13, 6:30 am. Free
and open to the public.  Join us as we explore two prime birding
locations in Lyme.  Nehantic State Forest is a 1,200-acre woodland,
home to Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and many other species.
There are large ponds where you can find Wood Ducks, herons,
flycatchers and other species. Nearby Hartman Park is known for its
breeding population of Cerulean Warblers.  Meet at the commuter lot
at exit 55 off I-95 in Branford at 6:30 am or the Keeny Road entrance
for Nehantic SF on Route 156 in Lyme at 7:00 am.  Leader—Chris
Loscalzo: 203 389-6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck.  Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 7:00 am.
Free and open to the public.  Enjoy a mid-week walk to a fine birding
location at the height of spring migration.  We’ll hike the trails in
search of migrants and residents.  The mixed hardwoods forest is a
good location for Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers, as well as many
other species.  Meet at the commuter parking lot at exit 25 off Route
8 in Naugatuck.   Leader— Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508,
closcalz at optonline.net

Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington.  Saturday, May 19,
7:00 am. Free and open to the public.  This will be our fifth annual
trip to this excellent birding spot in southeastern CT. We meet at
the commuter lot at Exit 55 of I-95 and then carpool to the refuge.
The management area consists of large expanses of salt marsh, tidal
pools, wetlands, woodlands, and open fields. We should see wading
birds, shorebirds, and area residents such as Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed
and Seaside Sparrow, Marsh Wren, White-eyed Vireo, Willow Flycatcher,
American Redstart and many other species. Last year we saw a
beautiful Wilson’s Phalarope in full breeding plumage.  Leader-Bill
Batsford: 203.787-1642, william.batsford at yale.edu.

Stratford Shore Points.  Sunday, May 20, 2012, 7:00 am. Free and open
to the public.  We’ll visit coastal refuge and town parks in search
of migrant warblers, orioles, flycatchers, shorebirds, herons, etc.
Meet at 7:15 am in lot for 600 Long Beach Blvd.  Leader—Frank
Mantlik: 203-984-9410, mantlik at sbcglobal.net.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director