[CT Birds] unusual feeder flock

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Apr 22 21:11:01 EDT 2012

We've had an increased influx of redwings at our feeders, too. Nothing like the hundreds that come through in late winter/very early spring, but at least a dozen at a time, recently. When the weather first got warm in mid-March, the numbers went back to only a couple of pairs (we have some ponds in the area where they nest), but with the cooler temps in the past couple of weeks, the numbers have grown. Hopefully, they'll drop back down when conditions moderate again - they go through the seed like gangbusters! (Although the redwing males have put on some impressive territorial battles, swooping low all over the yard with their epaulets in full display.)
Have also noticed a larger number of robins so far. Maybe due to last year's excellent worm crop (from all the moisture)?
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester