[CT Birds] Finding Birds

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Apr 26 11:16:41 EDT 2012

Cool stuff Andy! One of the first thing I try to teach new birders is how to properly use binoculars. It seems to be human nature to keep them glued to the eyes. I teach novice users to rely on the eyes first and then the bins. Often when I tell the user to put the bins down and scan with the eyes they seem quite unwilling to actually do it. I guess it just seems intuitive that it's better to always only scan through the optics, even though it is not. I often have to gently push their binoculars down away from their eyes to get them to stop using them continuously. One of the best binocular savvy people I have ever birded with is Paul C. We birded side by side in Panama a few years ago and I was impressed by how quickly he was spotting new birds in the darkness of the vegetation. I was a little better prepared in identifying them so Paul would spot them and get me on them and then I'd identify them if Paul hadn't yet. It was a very enjoyable and rewarding experience, and I would have seen quite a few less birds on that trip without Paul's knack!

David Provencher