[CT Birds] A little Spring Shorebirding K Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Apr 26 15:45:12 EDT 2012

Milford Point- outer sandbar, low tide: 9 Oystercatcher, 13 Piping
Plover, 1 Kildeer, 350+ (mostly) Dunlin/Sanderling, 1 Greater
Yellowlegs. Interesting to watch a pair of Piping Plover defend their
little patch of turf from the Oystercatchers that walked over it. The
Plover pair passionately defended their spot by chasing, charging and
flying after the Oystercatchers driving them off all the time I was
there......only to repeat the behavior when the next Oystercatcher
walked onto the stage. I will have images of this on my blog in a few
days. Also many Brant on the outer flats, and a single hen Common
Merganser mixed in with a flock of Red-breasted Mergansers by the low
stones on the outer edge of Pompey's Bar.

In the marsh behind the Coastal Center- 17 Greater Yellowlegs, with
surprisingly 1 Willet mixed in with a few Yellowlegs. 150+ (mostly)
Dunlin, 7 Green-winged Teal.

Long Wharf (near the Amistad pier)- 5 Greater Yellowlegs

East Shore Park- a large concentration of Swallows (mostly Barn)
feeding over the treatment pools at the Treatment PLant. 200 Brant
along the shore.

Guilford- Great Harbor Impoundment above the dike at the end of
Trolley Road- 7 Willet, 3 Greater Yellowlegs.

Guilford, East River marsh boat ramp road- 15 Willet, 2 Greater
Yellowlegs, 2 Clapper Rail- only caught a few glimpses of the Rail
running through the grass along the ditches.

Keith Mueller
Killingworth