[CT Birds] Bluebird Fledglings

Anthony Zemba Anthony.Zemba at gza.com
Thu Apr 26 17:34:01 EDT 2012

I would remove it and clean it out to ensure there are no parasitic larval fly maggots that emerge from the nest material and parasitize the young at night by sucking their blood.  This can be a significant cause of mortality for young bluebirds if the infestation is heavy enough.

It also helps to insert wire mesh "benches" for the birds to build their nests on as the maggots retreat down into the nest material during the day to escape capture by the adults and may fall through the screen, unable to return the following night to parasitize the young once again.

Anthony Zemba CHMM
Certified Ecologist / Soil Scientist
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.

655 Winding Brook Drive