[CT Birds] 4/28 - Lake Mohegan, Fairfield

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 11:43:57 EDT 2012

I spent a very enjoyable three hours at Lake Mohegan Open Space in
Fairfield this morning, covering a good amount of the property. Although
the morning started out quite cool, I ended up recording 41 species,
including 6 wood-warbler species. Several local breeders were in evidence,
while it was clear a number had yet to arrive. Lake Mohegan is truly a
fantastic spot, possessing a great number of habitats and always putting up
big species totals. I encourage those in the area to check it out this
spring! Even after nights of poor winds, the wealth of breeders will be
sure to keep you busy, even if the migrants don't produce.

Highlights below:

5 Warbling Vireo
15 Northern Rough-winged Swallow
2 House Wren
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Hermit Thrush
1 Gray Catbird
1 Blue-winged Warbler -- Present and singing by the gray abandoned
lakehouse east of the parking lot. Many more should be arriving here soon.
3 Black-and-white Warbler
1 American Redstart -- One GORGEOUS male working the trees at the edge of
the powerline cut, constantly singing
4 Yellow Warbler
2 'Yellow' Palm Warbler
11 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 Eastern Towhee
1 Swamp Sparrow
2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

To view the complete checklist, as well as locations of where these species
were found click here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10567768

Alex Burdo
Fairfield