[CT Birds] Herons & Osprey Stratford and ID help please

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 21:05:30 EDT 2012

Sunday: The pond behind 611 Access had over 12 Herons in it today...Yellow Crowned and Black Crowned and one juvenile I could not identify from any of my books. It's all gray/grayish blue and seems to have white on the underside.  Today was a great day for butterflies in the marshes as well.  And there were Cygnets in the first warehouse pond : ) But the baby geese have not been since in a week even though the parents are present.  I suspect they fell through one of the many storm drains as they would walk along that side of the parking lot to get to the small stream that runs from the pond in the back of the warehouses :(
Here is a link to the public album that has photos.

The Osprey were once again building a nest on the crane at Norwalk Marine on Access Road.  I imagine the crane will come down again and all will be for naught.  There were also 3 circling over Frash Pond this afternoon.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150784696542439.431545.726347438&type=3&l=497ea3cf36

Can someone ID the Hooded Merganser in this album?  From my one of my books that shows juveniles/immature I believe it is a 1st Spring Male as the plumage markings aren't matching that of the female  (6th ed National Geographic guide)  The little guy has been at the boat ramp for at least the past 2 weeks.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150784745227439.431555.726347438&type=3&l=3dae66cd0f

Saturday:  During Housatonic River Clean Up saw 2 Osprey on the new platform on Popes Island and an Osprey nesting on Pepe's rock.  There are photos in the public album on my facebook page titled "Housatonic River Clean Up"   There is also an Album only Gulls which I'm very proud of : )

Thank you.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT