[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow

Stephen Broker LS.BROKER at COX.NET
Mon Apr 30 10:58:28 EDT 2012

From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
Following up on Dave Provencher's post, I've checked Harris's Sparrow further with A.C. Bent's Life Histories of North American Birds - always a good place to check before one taps the send key!  (The passage quoted below also is available on-line at Birdzilla.com for Harris's Sparrow.)

"In their detailed study of the species, Myron H. Swenk and Orin A. Stevens (1929) note: "The vanguard arrives with remarkable uniformity during the first week in May or shortly thereafter at points over an area extending from the Dakotas to Minnesota and Manitoba. The passage of the vanguard across Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Northwest Territory to the breeding grounds of the species is made during the last half of May, though it is probably the middle of June before the migration of all the birds is completed."

Bent also states, "From its earliest history, Harris' Sparrow has been surrounded by an aura of excitement and drama."  We've certainly had excitement and some drama these past months with the Lebanon bird.  Perhaps I'm due for another trip to Lebanon in the several days ahead.  It appears that I have a week (big plus-or-minus) to do so.