[CT Birds] I'm 95% sure it was a large Owl

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 17:29:06 EDT 2012

Today while working outside in the garden, I would occasionally look up for any
migrating hawks.
I had the regular res Red-tails and Shoulders and separately 2 migrating
Broadwings and Sharpies.

At 5:10 - as the clouds thickened I noticed a silhouetted bird high up going due
as the others did. BUT - without nocks, this bird was not a Hawk but an OWL!
Could not get anything on it but the characteristic big blunt head and Owl moth
like flight.

I'm 95% sure it was a large Owl, but what specie of Owl flies in late daylight
high up,
at this time of year and it sure seemed it was a migrant to me. Any idea what
this owl could have been?
I'm stumped!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton