[CT Birds] N. Canaan, lofs of Black Vultures.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 19:04:37 EDT 2012

I was passing through North Canaan this morning about 9 AM and as I turned
from US 44 west to Rt 7 north I saw 2 Black Vultures circling almost
directly over the intersection.  Since they are fairly common in Canaan I  didn't
think much about it until I saw a very large kettle west of the road  about
1/10 mile north. Then I had to pull over and dig for the bins. I counted
15 BV but I'm sure there were more than that as it was very hard to keep the
circling birds straight. It appeared to me that more than half of the
Kettle was  Black Vultures, the remainder all Turkey Vultures. The lighting was
perfect and  the white wing tips shown like light bulbs!
North Canaan, 4/30/12, 15 + BLACK VULTURES
Don Morgan