[CT Birds] Birdcraft plus

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:06:36 EDT 2012

I spent a couple of hours working the entire Birdcraft Sanctuary in
Fairfield this afternoon. Although it started out slow, activity picked up
quite a bit and by the end at least three species of warbler were in full
song. Although a good variety of migrants were noted, I found I had to work
a bit harder than usual to strain each species out. It was, however, a
fantastic turnaround from yesterday at the sanctuary, where I was unable to
note a single wood-warbler.

Highlights/migrants below:

1 Hairy Woodpecker -- uncommon at Birdcraft
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 Great Crested Flycatcher -- one non-calling individual present in the
vicinity of the tall oaks along the north ridge and parking lot edge
3 Warbling Vireo
1 Veery -- seen well but briefly along the north shore of the pond
1 Wood Thrush -- seen in the vicinity of the main building and museum;
18 Gray Catbird -- certainly abundant!
1 Northern Waterthrush
1 Black-and-white Warbler
2 Northern Parula
3 Yellow Warbler
3 Black-throated Green Warbler

For more notes and information on the location of these birds see the
complete checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10611452

Elsewhere during my travels today, I was able to pick up five other warbler
species in addition to the ones seen at the Birdcraft, putting my day total
at ten. Highlights below:

Hopkins School, New Haven:

1 Nashville Warbler
1 Common Yellowthroat

Fairfield yard:

1 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
3 Chimney Swift -- FOY
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Veery
1 American Redstart
1 Magnolia Warbler
1 Black-throated Blue Warbler

An awesome day to be out -- only gonna get better from here!

Alex Burdo