[CT Birds] Gray cat bird and house wren (at last!) with brown thrasher - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 3 12:07:44 EDT 2012

At last I have gray catbird and house wren on our property here on South St in Washington, CT today (3 May, Thursday). Being at about 900 feet and being inland local breeding birds do take longer to get here then in other places in CT. I had run around repairing one of the wren boxes I have here about 2 weeks ago when I read Greg H's column in the Waterbury newspaper about the anticipated arrival of the house wrens. Talking to Russ Naylor in Woodbury yesterday Russ said he had not had a catbird or wren there as of yesterday. Have not seen much in the way of wood warblers around the property here so far.

I have continued to see a brown thrasher on the property here. Last week I had a brown thrasher feeding at my black-oiled sunflower feeder and today there was a thrasher feeding on black-oiled sunflower seeds I put on a stone bench here by the house. Hopefully there are two brown thrashers here and hopefully we will have them breeding here again.

David W Babington
Washington, CT