[CT Birds] Bridgeport Osprey Nest

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 4 17:11:01 EDT 2012

Below, reproduced with permission, is a message I received from Jenny Dickson about the Osprey nest in Bridgeport.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Hi, Roy.

Arthur Shippee suggested that I contact you with some updated information regarding the osprey nests in Milford and Bridgeport that have generated some lively discussion in the past few days. He thought it might be something COA or the rare bird list would be interested in publicizing since there has been so much discussion.

United Illuminating has had growing concerns about the nest in Milford and has been evaluating all of its options with regard to maintaining service, preventing fire and electrical hazards, and protecting the osprey. As part of their assessment, they contacted both the DEEP and the US Fish and Wildlife Service to discuss options available to address their concerns and protect a bird covered under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. After careful analysis and consultation with their electrical engineers, they decided to attempt a process of wrapping the wires with insulating sleeves and blankets to protect the osprey and prevent them from accidentally causing a short. While not a long-term solution, it is believed that this effort will be sufficient to allow the osprey to reach fledging and prevent a disruption in electrical service. UI is also working with the Town to discuss options for installing an osprey platform nearby for the birds to use in
 future years and have also explored many alternatives that have been used successfully in other states.

It is my understanding that the work was completed successfully this morning and the female is back on the nest incubating eggs.

The nests in Bridgeport are not in locations where there is an immediate threat to the birds or to electrical service, so no immediate action is required. UI continues to explore options for establishing a safer nesting location for these osprey in the future.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me.

Jenny

Jenny Dickson
Supervising Wildlife Biologist
CT DEP Wildlife Division, Wildlife Diversity Program
PO Box 1550, Burlington, CT 06013