[CT Birds] Nehantic Forest SP, Lyme; FOY Yard Hummer

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Fri May 4 19:15:26 EDT 2012

I had a rather late start to the morning as it was raining in Waterford and I was also just enjoying getting reacquainted with my yard birds.  I was at Nehantic Forest, entering from Rt. 156 in Lyme, around 10 AM and birded til 3PM.

Highlights were:

Many Worm-eating Warblers (I notched 10 and stopped counting)
7  Blue-winged Warblers
4 Northern Waterthrush
2 Louisiana Waterthrush
1 BT Green Warbler
Ovenbirds, Yellow, and Common Yellowthroat spread throughout the forest
3 Black and White Warblers
A few Yellow-rumped Warblers

2 Scarlet Tanagers
2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
3 Baltimore Orioles
4 Great-crested Flycatchers
1 Warbling Vireo
1 Red-eyed Vireo

many Wood Thrush  and Towhees singing their heart out
1 Veery

Other birds :
1 Phoebe
Many BG Gnatcatchers
2 Pileated Woodpeckers
1 Hairy Woodpecker
1 Swamp Sparrow
3 White-throated Sparrows
Several Wood Duck
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 Osprey

1. I bird mostly by ear and there was never a moment when the sound of Ovenbirds, Wood Thrushes, Towhees, RW Blackbirds, and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were not in the background, which made it hard to pick out the warblers.  But that is what makes MAYgration not only fun but challenging.

2.  The trail which formerly had a lot of early successional growth and was well known for Prairie
Warbler is now really overgrown.  I did have Blue Winged Warbler there and several Towhees but that was about all.

3.  Likewise the "quarry trail" where one can go off to the left and enter a field which leads to a meadow where I have often had Hooded Warbler, well, I could not even begin to penetrate the overgrown Russian Olive to access the open area where I have had the Hooded.

4.  Nice day!  Beats pigeons and House Sp. in Queens.

also :  in addition to my earlier report of a WC Sparrow this morn in the yard, I had a RT Hummer
(FOY) at the feeder late this afternoon.

Carolyn Cimino
Sent from my iPad