[CT Birds] Pine Creek, Fairfield

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Fri May 4 19:30:03 EDT 2012

I was finally able to get a break from school work today and get out to do my first May birding. It was a fantastic walk through Pine Creek, and I got many first migrants that I have not seen yet due to me to not being able to go birding for the last two weeks because of busy school work. Highlights below:

6 Wild Turkeys
2 Great Egrets
3 Snowy Egrets
1 Black-crowned Night-Heron
1 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
1 Solitary Sandpiper - In the exact same square foot of puddle as where I saw my lifer bird 3 years and two days ago
4 Willets
2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds - including a gorgeous male in full sun
2 Great Crested Flycatchers
1 Yellow-throated Vireo - my first sighting (I have heard them) in Fairfield
2 Blue-headed Vireos
3 Warbling Vireos
2 White-breasted Nuthatches
2 House Wrens
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
7 Black-and-white Warblers
1 Nashville Warbler
1 Common Yellowthroat
2 Northern Parulas
1 Magnolia Warbler
17 Yellow Warblers
1 Chestnut-sided Warbler
11 Yellow-rumped Warblers
8 Black-throated Green Warblers
1 Eastern Towhee
2 Savannah Sparrows
36 White-throated Sparrows - a rather large number for this time of year?
3 Scarlet Tanagers
1 Indigo Bunting
4 Baltimore Orioles

James Purcell