[CT Birds] Migration push - Fran was right

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat May 5 10:18:58 EDT 2012

This has thus far been an outstanding morning here in Canton, on the fringes of northwestern CT.  It was clear last night until at least 11 PM and we had a blocking system come in which has grounded northbound migrants.  In my travels around Canton I've had 19 warbler species, including Wilson's, 6 Northern Waterthrushes, 4 Prairie Warblers, numerous Northern Parulas (though I've yet to see one) and most of the local nesters.  Many of them have been found in places where they don't actually nest so they're obviously migrants.  Best thing I've encountered today -- Long-tailed Weasel.  Haven't seen one of those in years!

A little bit of rain is falling now.  Once it lets up and I eat I'm going back out.  These days don't come along that often.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT