[CT Birds] Mansfield Hollow field trial area, Mansfield, 5/5/12

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat May 5 16:42:53 EDT 2012

Things are coming to life quickly! I walked from the gate down the road and
 through the fields to where the pavement goes underwater (right now the
lake is  up a foot or so). There were a lot of FOY's for the area, but when I
got almost  to the water I hit a birder's dream moment! As I looked up one
small bird flew  into the tree right in front of me. Then another and another
until there were  more than a dozen. When I started sorting though them
they were mostly warblers,  and several different species! The only one singing
was a BT Green - the others  were too busy gobbling. And they stayed in
that single tree for about 15  minutes!
In the tree:
1 BT Green
2 Black-and-whites
2 Yellow Rumps
2 Palm Warblers
1 MAGNOLIA - FOY for me and I think the first ever at that area.
2 Chestnut-sided Warblers
1 Warbling Vireo
2 tufted Titmice
1 BC Chickadee
In addition, there was a Blue-winged Warbler and a Common Yellowthroat in
the brambles not more than 50 feet from the tree, and Yellow Warblers
calling  from all directions.
The party got broken up, unfortunately, when 2 boys on bikes came down the
road, yelling to each other as they went by me, but at least I had quite a
bit  of time to observe.
Here is the Ebird species list for the area today:
Mansfield Hollow Field Trial Area, Tolland, US-CT
May 5, 2012 8:30 AM -  12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
43 species