[CT Birds] surreal birds

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 17:21:17 EDT 2012

While attending a night baseball game at Fitch Sr High School in Groton last night, the fog kept rolling in thicker and thicker.  Every fly ball or pop up was an adventure.  Moths began to swarm in greater numbers around the field.  I was hoping nighthawks would show up, but instead I began to hear night calls of passerines overhead in the darkness just above the brightly lit cloud bubble.  With crowd and PA noise it was hard to determine any species, numbers, etc.  I suspect that it was a small number of birds confused by the fog and light that swirled around rather than a wave passing over.  It only lasted twenty minutes or so.  The whole game was already rather dreamlike, but the birds added to it.

Glenn Williams