[CT Birds] 5/5 - Fairfield Birding

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 21:38:01 EDT 2012

I spent much of the day birding Fairfield, yet was only able to fully cover
three location due to the sheer numbers of species encountered. My morning
started at the Birdcraft, where in four hours I was able to put together a
list of 56 species including 15 wood-warblers. I then headed home and after
a brief siesta birded the yard for an hour which yielded 37 species
including 9 wood-warblers (2 not seen at the Birdcraft). Before heading to
Statford Point this evening, I wrapped up my day birding the Sherman School
area which includes the school grounds and fields, the marsh, the Old
Burying Ground, the property of the Fairfield Museum and the town green and
ornamental plantings behind the Burr Mansion. There I noted 43 species
including 11 wood-warbler species (including 1 not seen at Birdcraft or in
the yard), putting my day wood-warbler tally at 18. Numerous other
highlights were seen at all three locations in addition to the
wood-warblers.

Highlights/migrants below:

>From Alex Burdo:
05/05/12 - Fairfield, Birdcraft Sanctuary -- 56 species including 1 Green
Heron, 1 Eastern Phoebe, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 Eastern Kingbird, 1
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, 1 Blue-headed Vireo, 2 Warbling Vireo, 1 Red-eyed
Vireo, 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 Veery, 1 Wood Thrush, 31 Gray Catbird, 4
Eastern Towhee, 2 Scarlet Tanager, 5 Baltimore Oriole and 15 wood-warbler
species including 1 Ovenbird, 1 Worm-eating Warbler, 1 Northern
Waterthrush, 8 Black-and-white Warbler, 2 Nashville Warbler, 2 Common
Yellowthroat, 2 American Redstart, 10 Northern Parula, 2 Magnolia Warbler,
1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, 4 Yellow Warbler, 1 Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1
'Yellow' Palm Warbler, 13 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 WILSON'S WARBLER. eBird
checklist with locations and other info:
Fairfield Yard -- 37 species including 1 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, 1
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 Warbling Vireo, 2
Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 Wood Thrush, 8 Gray Catbird, 2
Eastern Towhee and 9 wood-warbler species including 1 Ovenbird, 1 Nashville
Warbler, 1 Common Yellowthroat, 1 American Redstart, 3 Northern Parula, 2
Magnolia Warbler, 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 Prairie Warbler. eBird
checklist: http://ebird.org/ebir/view/checklist?subID=S10649000
Fairfield, Sherman School area -- 43 species including 1 SOLITARY
SANDPIPER, 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher, 3
Warbling Vireo, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 19 Gray Catbird, 20 Cedar Waxwing,
2 Eastern Towhee, 1 FIELD SPARROW, 7 Savannah Sparrow, 1 Baltimore Oriole
and 11 wood-warbler species including 1 Northern Waterthrush, 2
Black-and-white Warbler, 3 Nashville Warbler, 6 Common Yellowthroat, 1
American Redstart, 6 Northern Parula, 7 Yellow Warbler, 1 Pine Warbler, 17
Yellow-rumped Warbler, 2 Prairie Warbler, 1 Black-throated Green Warbler.
eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10648738

An absolutely incredible day to be out there!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield