[CT Birds] Hooded Warbler courtship, eBird Report - East Rock Park, May 5, 2012

Richard Payne richardpayne07 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 22:13:39 EDT 2012

 I know many folks heard and saw the Hooded Warbler at East Rock this
morning. The male was singing away around the thickets near the covered
bridge, and as I was looking for him I was lucky enough to see a female
Hooded land on a branch, raise her head up and fan her wings. She was
immediately tagged by the male and they both flew quickly away. The male
continued singing the entire time I was down by the river - let's hope they
breed there this year!

Other than that, had 16 warbler sp. total, see report below.
~Richard Payne

East Rock Park, New Haven, US-CT
May 5, 2012 9:22 AM - 1:22 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.2 mile(s)
54 species

Turkey Vulture  5
Herring Gull  6
Rock Pigeon  2
Mourning Dove  4
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1     Old archery field, male
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  2     Old archery field
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  12
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Blue Jay  15
Common Raven  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Wood Thrush  3
American Robin  16
Gray Catbird  40
Ovenbird  4
Worm-eating Warbler  3
Northern Waterthrush  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1     Old archery field, singing male
Black-and-white Warbler  7
Nashville Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  1
Hooded Warbler  2
American Redstart  2     Trowbridge Dr., singing males
Northern Parula  4
Magnolia Warbler  1     Old archery field edge, singing male
Blackburnian Warbler  1     Trowbridge Dr., male high in trees
Yellow Warbler  10
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1     Trowbridge Dr., singing male
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1     Only one! by the Mill River.
Black-throated Green Warbler  5
Eastern Towhee  2
Song Sparrow  4
Swamp Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  5
Scarlet Tanager  2     Trowbridge Dr. only
Northern Cardinal  10
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  8
Red-winged Blackbird  22
Common Grackle  15