[CT Birds] Washington Depot and Steep Rock Preserve

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 6 11:58:02 EDT 2012

Love 'picking up' new 'year birds' (aren't there birds every year?) around Washington, CT today. I first stopped in Washington Depot, CT late this morning (6 May 2012, Sunday) to check for birds along the Shepaug River and small stream that comes down to Shepaug River. Had yellow warbler, warbling vireo (my favorite place for them), eastern kingbird, rough-winged swallow, and several Baltimore orioles.  Next went to the original section Steep Rock Preserve along the Shepaug River and parked in the Riding Ring parking lot along the Sheapug River. Walked on the Mike Harwood bird trail on the south side of Shepaug River here. Could have used the late Mike Harwood here. A few birds here yellow-rumped warblers, ovenbirds, and one pileated woodpecker. Walked back up River Road to the parking lot and "had" common mergansers, a hermit thrush, more yellow-rumped warblers, and a yellow-throated vireo. Returned home to South St here in Washington, CT and noted
 three yellow-rumped warblers bathing in our bird bath. Anyone NOT see yellow-rumped warblers lately?

David W Babington
Washington, CT