[CT Birds] Glastonbury - Yellow-headed Blackbird

asterbunch at cox.net asterbunch at cox.net
Mon May 7 09:06:44 EDT 2012

5/6/12 - Glastonbury, Private Property -- 1 male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD.

Yesterday, I briefly noted a bird about the size of a Baltimore Oriole fly into the top of a tall tree with vivid yellow in the upper parts.  I was able to note a yellow head and breast before it quickly dipped further into the tree, hidden from my view.  Sensing that this could be a good bird, I made sure my camera was ready.  The bird flew out rather quickly, affording a brief view and limited time for some pics before flying out of view over another tree line.  I was able to take a few record pics of the bird flying away, which showed a yellow head and breast, white-wing patch with the remaining body colors black/dark brown.  I asked Jay Kaplan and Andrew Dasinger to review the pics, due to the rarity of the sighting and nature of record pics, and they support the ID.  Thanks to Jay and Andrew.

Although seen on private property, if birders want to try to relocate I would suggest birding Riverfront Park in Glastonbury and Rocky Hill Meadows.

Bill Asteriades
South Glastonbury