[CT Birds] ? about flicker behavior - Bob Jase, New Britain

busterggi at aol.com busterggi at aol.com
Mon May 7 11:14:19 EDT 2012

Last Thursday on my way home after work I spotted a flicker on a sidewalk on its belly & acting injured (flopping around, spreading just one wing) so I pulled over to see if I could help it.  It apparently took off while I was backing the car up because it was gone when I got there.  Next day, in almost the same place was the same flicker (I assume) doing the same thing.  This time I kept a eye on it while backing up & before I even stopped the car it was up on its feet & took off to perch in a nearby tree.

Now I know some birds will act distressed if there is a threat in the area to distract the threat from its nest but I saw no threats (cats, dogs, children) around & neither did the robins that were only a few feet away from the flicker.  Any idea as to what it was doing would be appreciated.