[CT Birds] White-eyed Vireo question

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue May 8 10:52:16 EDT 2012

I'd say right habitat. This species is at its northern limit as a breeder in CT and might be found anywhere the conditions are right. Anytime the phrase "northern limit" is used it is not an absolute, instead it usually implies the limit of normal population occurrence. There are pairs that breed further north of course, just as there are now Mississippi Kites breeding in New England, though New England would be traditionally considered north of it normal range. Whether W-e Vireo range is expanding northward I'm not sure off-hand.

As a side note for southeastern CT birders, the powerlines leading out of Millstone Station in Waterford, a traditional W-e Vireo breeding location (as well as Prairie Warbler), have been largely cleared of vegetation. It will take a couple of years for the habitat to bounce back. I have heard White-eyed Vireo along the Millstone access road as recently as yesterday.

David Provencher