[CT Birds] Apps bird songs

Lynn Jones lynnjones11 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:04:11 EDT 2012

I recently downloaded the Audubon Birds: a field guide to NA Birds from the
Amazon App store.  It was a free download for one day (I only snuck in
downloading it at 11:50pm), on the android market it's $9.99 I think.
Since then I have been using it successfully and frequently.  It's fairly
easy to search, has all the birds I've been looking for, and usually has
3-4 high quality audio clips.  It's been great for studying warblers
recently, especially in the field trying to verify quick views by referring
to the songs.  I have tried using it a couple of times to 'call in' birds
although, it's not something I do that often.
There are a lot of features that I haven't used so I can't comment on the
app as a whole.  My one complaint is that there isn't a single touch
feature to get to where you can type in a bird to search for.  You either
have to hit the menu button and then click on advanced search or you have
to click on the species list and then advance search.  It just adds extra
time to get to the bird you want and in the field its annoying.  I think
I'm just spoiled.  Other than that the images are fine and the similar
species tab is a nice addition.  Works a little slower than I like but that
might be related to signal strength too.