[CT Birds] Greenwich Blue-winged/Golden-winged hybirds

Hannan, John jhannan at audubon.org
Wed May 9 14:03:16 EDT 2012

For those who cannot get down to the Audubon Greenwich Center but would like to see images of the male Lawrence backcross warbler, here is a link to some images I took today of the bird foraging and singing on its territory. http://www.flickr.com/photos/64282668@N07/sets/72157629653447952/

 As Ted Gillman mentioned in his earlier post, it is a beautiful bird and he seems to be establishing a territory on the Audubon Greenwich Sanctuary in a traditional Blue-Winged Warbler nesting spot.  As David Provencher noted in his earlier e-mail, the bird's distinctive marking will make it relatively easy to monitor amongst the other "pure" Blue-Winged Warblers we have nesting at the Sanctuary.  For those who desire to photograph the bird please remember it, and many other birds here, are now on their nesting grounds so, rather than using recordings or other devices to lure the birds in, just sit and enjoy the Sanctuary for a few minutes, the birds are very active right now and, if you watch their movements, within 20 minutes you should have them right next to you as they establish and patrol their territory.
Thanks and enjoy the spring,
John  Hannan

John Hannan
Senior Director of Strategic Gifts for the Atlantic Flyway
Development Director for Audubon in Connecticut
Audubon Connecticut
613 Riversville Road
Greenwich, CT 06831

Office 203-869-5272 ext 234